Chris Renouf is a Consultant, having previously been a Partner and the head of the Property Law Group.
Chris gained a BA (Hons) degree in law from Nottingham University in 1977, qualified as an English Barrister in 1978 and as a Jersey Advocate in 1982.
He has over 33 years' experience in Jersey property law matters, with a focus on commercial property work, particularly investment acquisitions, commercial lease, property development and real estate funding.
Key transactions include:
- Acted for Waitrose in their multi million pound acquisition of 5 supermarket premises, 3 in Jersey and 2 in Guernsey
- Harcourt's £100m development of Liberty Wharf on Jersey's Waterfront
- Advised Harcourt on a potential £350m office and financial centre development on Jersey's Waterfront.
- Acted in the £40m development and lease of the Radisson Waterfront Hotel
- Acted for The Jersey Homes Trust for numerous acquisitions totalling approximately £77m, including 2 acquisitions each in excess of £12m
Chris is a Topic Practitioner on the Jersey Law Commission and has assisted the Commission with two major projects namely revising the Law of Real Property in Jersey and revising the method of taking security over real estate in Jersey. He was also a senior member of the Jersey Legal Information Board working party which promoted and introduced the compulsory use of English in conveyances of Jersey real estate in November 2006 (where it had been compulsory to use French since 1602). Chris was also a Committee Member of the Law Society of Jersey for 10 years and Chairman of the Association of Jersey Charities for the last 3 years (the maximum period that the post can be held) and was asked to remain on the Committee as Vice Chairman.
He is recognised as a leading individual in the Legal 500 and Chambers & Partners legal directories.
1982 - Jersey
1978 - England & Wales (not practising)
"One of the most experienced property lawyers on the island."
Chambers Europe 2012
Chambers UK, Property, 2021
"An extremely good laywer"
Chambers UK 2017
"He has tremendous technical ability, he is readily accessible and has a quiet, amiable manner"
Chambers Europe 2012
"We draw comfort from his advice and implicitly trust his judgement"
Chambers Europe 2011
"Chris has a quiet dignity which makes contact with him very enjoyable"
Legal 500 2011